University College Hospital, Fitzrovia
Bespoke Suite of Memorials
University College Hospital (UCH), situated on the Euston Road in London, was founded in 1834 as a teaching hospital for medical students from University College London (UCL).
The previous site of UCH was in the Cruciform building on nearby Gower Street, which was closed in 1995 and the building passed back to UCL. A new privately financed hospital began construction in 2000 and was opened to the public and students in 2005.
London Stone Conservation was commissioned to design and carve three stone plaques to mark the opening of the new UCH building. The first, carved in slate with painted lettering, recorded the official opening by the Queen on 20th October 2005. The second panel was carved in Broughton Moor green slate with painted lettering and dedicated to the Middlesex Hospital, originally located on the site and now forming part of the reconfigured UCH. The final hand painted panel was to commemorate the many public and private donors that contributed to the construction of the new building.