Restoration external facades and roof

Canonbury House, Grade II listed, formerly known as St Stephen’s Vicarage was built in 1795 on the land granted to the Canons of St Bartholomew’s Priory.  Standing next to the Canonbury tower, this Georgian building is currently used as a private residential property.

London Stone Conservation completed a full conservation of the Canonbury house which entailed brick and stone repairs to the façade, chimney and roof repairs, restoration of windows and doors as well as repairs to the external rainwater goods. Repairs were done to the cornices, pediment dormer stone, parapet and new stone balustrades were fixed. In addition to this, the failing sections of the compound wall was rebuilt and pointed in lime mortars.

The house stands proudly over a basement with two storeys and dormered attics. It has a five-bay facade with a grand entrance framed by Ionic engaged columns supporting a modillion cornice. The ground-floor windows and doorway are set within graceful round-arched recess while the first-floor windows are flat arched with finely gauged brick heads. The two pediment dormers are likely late 19th century or early 20th century additions. The rear façade has a distinctive three storey hipped wing which is a later addition too. There is a garden to the rear with an 18th century brick wall incorporating an arched, pedimented entrance made of London Stock Brick. At the front of the house are wrought iron railings with urn finials and ornamental lamp holder at the entrance.