Restoration and Gilding

The fountain was erected in 1910 for public use in the centre of Albion Square, Hackney . This is one of just three remaining drinking fountains erected by celebrated philanthropist John Passmore Edwards (1823 – 1911).

HoLT in partnership with Hackney council commissioned London Stone Conservation  to improve the fountain and make it functional for use.

The fountain was cleaned, removing all staining using a poultice, then dismantled. New plumbing and waste has been integrated with piping to the nearest Thames Water manhole. New taps were set into the original rosette taps. The existing drainage grilles were be removed and the drainage was improved. All joints were repointed in a suitable, colour matching lime mortar. The lettering was gilded to improve legibility.